Monday, March 12, 2012
The One Where I Post Mash-Ups (Or: Horsefart Lives!)
Hey, I have pretty little to say about music these days, except:
(1) Sleigh Bells are way better when they don't irk me w/ their clipping!
(2) School of Seven Bells continue to be amazing and Ghostory is probably their best album, nice balance btw. On!Air!Library! and the electronic stuff!
(3) Mixtapes are still a thing! Rick Ross! Elle Varner! Other people, probably!
(4) Cassie might actually have a new album out, which means I'll probably have to give a "Russell-Crowe-for-Gladiator"-style consolation first place in 2012 since I stupidly missed Cassie in 2006!
(5) I guess I should update Russell Crowe/Gladiator to Meryl Streep/Iron Lady!
(6) Oh hey, this is supposed to be about mash-ups, so I will note that basically my listening has started to approximate Kat Stevens's style, aka horsefart, which is now a genre!
(7)Oh hey, and I guess now's as good a time as any to say that I'm submitting a proposal to 33 1/3 this year and I highly encourage you all to do the same!
(1) A.O. Stroff h/t's this pretty great "Set Fire to the Rain" mash-up.
(2) There's a whole album of LDR B.I.G. mash-ups that is not terrible!
(3) Sometimes people take one song and then they take another song and it sounds like a sort of new song, except it's very familiar! I have taken this approach at least three times in the past few months. I call the style "new-except-not-quite-new," a subgenre of horsefart:
(3i) Aaron Carter vs. LMFAO - Aaron's Party Rocking (+ download)
(3ii) 2NE1 vs. The Offspring - Come Out and K (this one is technically a SMASH-UP, get it?)
(3iii) Kreayshawn vs. Fatboy Slim - Gucci Gucci Skank
Feel free to use the comment section to spam me with passable-going-on-amazing K-pop mash-ups. HORSEFART LIVES.